Thursday, June 15

‘ST. LOUIS IN AUGUST HAS NOTHING ON THIS PLACE’

The heat wave continues full throttle with the sun beating down on Old Calvesgarden in complete calm. The garden is sparkling in the hard midday light and the Wolf Sound looks like a sea of glistening diamonds, as blinding as the sun itself.



The hedgerows of sand roses or dog roses, rosa rugosa, are in full bloom. Their sweet fragrance carries a long way, attracting scores of bumblebees.
The name ‘rugosa’ refers to the wrinkly leaves that are attractive in their own right, I think. It’s also called shrub rose for its dense foliage or hedgehog rose for the density of its thorns.

In older times, rugosa hips or ‘sea tomatoes’ were a standard fruit on Zealand, being regarded as one of the finest sweet fruits for autumn. You can still get hip jam in good stores, but that's about it. To me, it's as indispensable as toast on the breakfast tray.

2 Comments:

Blogger KJ's muse said...

Ugh. Too hot for comfort. I also don't have a car, so it's on foot, bike, or bus, regardless of the temperature. I'm breaking out into a sweat just thinking about it!

2:35 AM  
Blogger Sharon L. Holland said...

Our car broke down last night, so today I had a three-mile city walk and lots of bus riding. I am so glad I didn't have your heat.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home